Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Challenge Reveal

Saturday was our annual challenge reveal at guild.   This year's theme was "Bars".    Anytime, anyway, anyhow you wanted to depict them.    Members showed their challenge at the meeting and now they will be hung at the Richmond Library in Batavia from February 1-28.

Of course my first thought was "Bars of Music"!   

This is a giant log cabin block - using all music themed fabrics.   I called it "Piano Bar"




Since we were allowed 2 entries, I decided to do a second one.    I had a FQ pack of modern fabrics I had purchased a couple years ago in Florida.    My goal was to use them.....in bars.    I wanted them to look woven which took a bit of planning and I wanted some white space to do more quilting.   In the end I had about 2 inches left of each of the fabrics and about a 5 x 7 inch piece of the white.    Of course that would partly be because I had to redo a couple of ideas.   My other theme I adapted to go with "bars" was diamonds - 60 inch angle diamonds.   









I learned a few things which is always good for a challenge.   Since both were original, I had to draft my own pattern ideas.   Some of the fabric was loosely woven and raveled, so I had to figure some ways to applique and make sure the edges didn't fray.  Quilting on the white was a challenge as I don't like to mark on my quilts.   I thought I could do the center with a walking foot......not true......free motion was a little more difficult.  





2 comments:

  1. I really like the Piano Bar. Cute name, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like both of them...but especially the log cabin! You are so creative!

    ReplyDelete